The internet offers a wealth of opportunities to create a free website and earn passive income, no matter if you’re a content creator and blogger or an online business owner.
Despite your background and goals, a website offers you an invaluable way to connect with potential customers and readers and market your products and services. It also can be an important tool for generating revenue—even if you operate a free website. Our guide can help you understand the basics, and get you on the right track for successfully branding your web presence, and making some money, too!
Some of the steps you’ll need to follow, as you build and monetize your website include
- Creating a website structure..
- Registering for a .com domain.
- Use a website builder or hosting platform to create your website.
- Building out your web content
- Optimizing your website and content for search engines.
- Launching and marketing your website.
- Connecting your website to an Ad network.
Let’s take a closer look at the website monetization process, common questions, and basic essentials you’ll need to know to successfully earn revenue from your site.
Why Should I Create a Website?
With the enormous amount of time spent on the web worldwide, business proprietors have realized the importance of having an online presence and providing their services online. Your website is your identity, brand, and image on the web. Without this online calling card, it is next to impossible for web users and potential clients to find you.
So, what are the benefits of having a website? A good website will help you:
- Generate revenue
- Enhance growth
- Build credibility
- Create an effective marketing strategy
- Generate leads and sales
- Augment customer experience
- Get valuable feedback
- Gain important insight into the business
If a business does not own a website, it is missing out on several opportunities to appeal to a larger customer base and increase its growth. A website facilitates the appeal of a business or service online and helps build credibility. Online advertising can reach people all across the globe, and it is one of the best forms of marketing.
Can I Create a Website or Blog for Free?
You can indeed create a website or blog for free—but using a free domain or hosting service comes with a few limitations. The biggest consideration is that a free site offers less flexibility and you’ll have more limitations over how your website works, the web design, and how much you can track user metrics.
Additionally, free web domains are often tagged with the name of the domain provider. For example, instead of “ABCBusiness.com”, your URL may be “ABCBusiness.wordpress.com”.
Is It Easy to Create a Website?
Depending on what type of website you’re looking to build, the cost, effort, and time can vary dramatically. It is very easy to create a website using a website builder service like Wix.com. Free building platforms are generally pretty easy to use, and will save you time and money. But there are other site creation options, too. Here’s an overview of the most popular options:
- Website Builders. Featuring a drag-and-drop interface to help you design your website or blog from an array of available templates. These are easy to learn, and cheaper than hiring a professional, but don’t allow you to change every element of the website.
- Web Development/Coding. A coder or developer is a person who specializes in software development using programming languages. To develop your website you must learn HTML, CSS, and some basic web design which usually takes at least 6 months to grasp.
- HTML and CSS. You can either learn these valuable skills yourself or hire a professional to create a website for you. Web development allows you more freedom to mold your website to look exactly the way you want. Website customization can be achieved using features such as:
- Custom pop-ups
- Complex layouts
- Mobile-specific content
- Custom CMS features
- Complex web forms (like step-based or logic-based)
- Custom checkout page features
- e-commerce features
- Sliders and carousels
- Image popup galleries
- Non-basic animations
Should I Hire a Pro to Build My Website?
Hiring a web developer to create an elegant website is a good investment in the long run. Sliders are an essential part of a website, which is loved by readers. However, trying to implement a slider with no prior experience is quite challenging.
How Much Time Will It Take to Make My Website?
The time it takes for the website to be up and running depends upon the method you use to create a website.
|Method||Time to learn||Time to develop||Total time|
|Website builders||2-5 days||3-10 days||5-15 days|
|DIY HTML + CSS||4-6 months||1 month||5-7 months|
|Agencies/ Software Houses (have professionals do it)||0 days||10-35 days||10-35 days|
How Can I Start Earning Money with My Website?
After you’ve built your website and added quality content to build your traffic, you can consider a variety of options that can help you earn passive income. To start earning revenue from your web traffic, you can add the following programs and tools to your site:
- Affiliate marketing
- PPC (or pay-per-click) advertising
- Selling ad space
- Selling digital products
- Receiving donations
- Using sponsored posts
- Generate leads for other businesses
- Using email lists
- Flipping websites for profit
- Making use of monetization widgets
- Feature RSS feed ads
- Using content lockers to offer content for a small fee
- Starting a private forum or workshop
- Using pop-up ads
- Playing audio ads
- Hosting various polls on your website
We hope this overview helps you understand your options and find the right website style and monetization options to grow your business. Be sure to read our blogs for more information on website monetization. And when you’re ready to get started, please get in touch for a free, personalized consultation. We look forward to working with you!